In Autumn 2016, Elliott and his wife, Tess, opened their own restaurant – BOX-E – in a pair of converted shipping containers on Bristol’s harbourside. The small menu features seasonal ingredients, showcasing much of the fantastic produce the West Country has on offer. They have been wonderful supporters of REAL since the early days.
Elliott Lidstone is donating to Hospitality Action.
Warm potato salad, smoked mackerel and pickled cucumber – recipe
For the salad
- 600g new potatoes, boiled until a they slide off a knife (served warm)
- 300g smoked mackerel, flaked into large pieces
- 4 radishes sliced as thinly as possible
- 1 tablespoon capers, lilliput if available
- 1 tablespoon small gerkins, chopped
- 1/2 bunch spring onions, chopped finely
- A snip of mustard cress
- Any fine herbs you have – parsley, chives or dill work particularly well
For the pickling liquor
- 100g cider (or any pale) vinegar (this equates to 100ml so you can weigh or use a measuring jug)
- 100g water
- 50g caster sugar (but most sugar you have in the cupboard should work)
- Bring all three ingredients to the boil, cool, then pour over half a cucumber that has been thinly sliced into half moons after de-seeding
For the dressing
- 2 teaspoon of Dijon mustard (or any mustard you have)
- 2 teaspoon cider vinegar (again, white wine vinegar, or balsamic, or any vinegar would work)
- 6 teaspoon olive oil (or rapeseed, or veg oil, or whatever you have at this time)
- Shake together in a cleaned out jam jar or bottle until fully emulsified.
Mix the warm potatoes with the dressing. Add the capers, spring onions, gerkins and any fine herbs you might have. Season with pepper and a little salt, if needed.
Scatter the mackerel over the dressed potatoes and garnish with the cucumber, sliced radish and cress.
Serve with Dry Dragon. Enjoy!
Follow Elliott & Box-E on Instagram | Remember to tag us into your posts when you try this recipe #REALChefs