We’ve known Chef Tom Peters since our days working with Matt Campbell. Currently the head chef at Restaurant Tom Simmons in Tower Bridge, Tom is already a veteran of the Michelin-starred scene, having worked at Maaemo in Oslo and Roux at Parliament square in Westminster.
Portobello katsu curry, coconut rice, pickled cucumber and fennel – recipe
This Recipe serves 4
- 1 Medium size onion
- 3 garlic cloves
- 1 green chilli
- 1 red chilli
- 100g fresh ginger
- 3 lemongrass
- 500ml coconut milk
- 1 large sweet potato
- 1 courgette
- 200g spinach
- 4 limes
- Fish sauce
- Light soy sauce
Marinated portobello mushroom
- 4 portobello mushrooms
- 2 garlic cloves
- Light soy sauce
- 400g Basmati rice/Glutinous rice ( if you can
- 400ml coconut milk
- 400ml water
- 100g caster sugar
- 100g apple cider vinegar or white wine
- 200ml boiling water
- 1 cucumber
- Start by peeling the outer layer off the portobello mushroom and marinating in light soy sauce, crushed garlic, and olive oil. Set aside for 30 mins.
- Finely dice the onion, garlic, chillis.
- Finely grate the ginger and just crush the lemongrass lightly.
- Begin to sweat the vegetables over a medium heat.
- Add 500ml coconut milk – Chop the sweet potato into small chunks and cook in the curry sauce for 25-30 mins.
- Add the rice, coconut milk, and water to a separate sauce pan with a pinch of salt and cook over a low heat for 20 mins or until all of the liquid has absorbed into the rice and it is nice and sticky.
- To make the pickle add the sugar and water in a mixing bowl, add the boiling water and mix until dissolved, allow to cool before adding the sliced vegetables.
- Season the curry with 2 dessert spoons of fish sauce and soy sauce.
- When the sweet potato is cooked we can start to finish the dish.
- Pack the breadcrumbs onto the mushroom to get a nice even coating and you can shallow fry in a large frying pan.
- Finish the curry with the diced courgette, spinach, lime juice.
- Crack a bottle of REAL Kombucha and enjoy.
Follow Tom Peters on Instagram | Remember to tag us into your posts when you try this recipe #REALChefs